This week’s Tech Talk is: Screencast-o-matic
A screencast is a digital recording of a computer screen that often contains audio narration. Screencast-o-matic is a free online screen recorder that requires no installation. There are great tutorial videos on their website if you get stuck. (Start with this one.) When your video is complete, you can export it or upload it to YouTube or Screencast-o-matic.
How can you use screencasts in the classroom?
· Create video tutorials and upload them to your website/wiki/blog so students can watch them if they get stuck
· Record class activities for absent students
· Have students create screencasts and use them to check understanding/assess their work
· Create videos for a sub to use if you are going to be out
· Provide feedback on a student project with a screencast of your feedback/edits
DID YOU KNOW? Smart Notebook also has Smart Recorder! Go to Start/Smart Notebook/Smart Recorder to use it. (You must have the Smart software installed to use this tool.)
FYI – The end of the year is fast approaching!!! Are you interested in making an end of the year video for your class? PhotoStory provides a quick & easy way to create a unique video with photos that you’ve taken throughout the school year. You should have this program on your computer already, or you can download PhotoStory 3 online for free if you prefer to have it on your home computer.