What is PhotoStory???
- PhotoStory 3 is a FREE piece of software that allows users to create a show and tell presentation using images. (This is also called Digital Storytelling.) You can also add music and narration to your project to make it come to life!
- Once your project is finished, it can be played with Windows Media Player – which is standard on most computers. (Also a FREE download if you don’t have it.)
- This is a great application for beginners. It is VERY user friendly and simple to use!
- Click HERE for the download page. (You CAN request this software to be put on your classroom computers if you want!!!)
- Click here for a VIDEO tutorial –
- Click HERE for a guided, written tutorial.
How can you use this in your classroom???
- Turn your written stories into powerful videos!
- Have the students bring in, draw, or scan pictures to narrate a story. You can also import TUXPAINT or POWERPOINT images into the story. (Ask me how to do this if you need help!)
- Use this as an extension activity for kids that are always finished early. Let them take their stories to the next level!
- Have each student create a page for the “movie” – and put all of your student pages together in movie form!
- Recap a field trip.
- Have a group of students load your digital pictures onto the computer and into PhotoStory/Movie Maker to narrate your field trip experience.
- Here are more great links with ideas if you want to check them out!
Did you know? It’s never too late to start teaching kids about copyright laws! The “rule” for using music is either 30 seconds or 10% of a song. If you want to avoid all legal liability – you can just use copyright free music. Here is one of my favorite sites to get music from – www.freeplaymusic.com (PhotoStory 3 also gives you the ability to create your own music.) As for pictures off of the Internet – make sure students are citing the source of the pictures as well.